Arlington Virginia (VA) Real Estate – Arbour RealtyHome
Helping You Plant Roots in VA, DC & MD
Shirlington Community Information
Median Home Value
Avg Cost/Sq Ft
Sale-To-List Price Ratio
- Public Transportation: ART & Metrobus
- Walk Score: 78
- Grocery Store(s): Harris Teeter
- Local High School: Wakefield
Shirlington doesn’t get the press of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor, but this south Arlington neighborhood has rapidly become a hot spot due to its “café culture” and pedestrian promenade. It’s not uncommon to bump into your neighbors as they enjoy drinks before catching a indie flick at one of the few remaining art house movie theaters in the area. A new state-of-the art library completed in 2007 has made reading cool again, and theater lovers will appreciate the updated Signature Theater that anchors one end of the neighborhood. An eclectic mix of restaurants and bars are available to serve any of your after work desires.
Located minutes from downtown DC, Reagan National Airport, and Alexandria, Shirlington is conveniently situated for those who want to avoid sitting in gridlock for hours a day. That being said, one of the drawbacks of the neighborhood is its lack of direct Metrorail access. However, Metro and ART buses offer frequent shuttles to local Metro stations, so residents dependent on Metrorail still have options.
Part of the redevelopment of Shirlington included the addition of five new residential buildings contributing 644 additional units to an already robust real estate market. Mixed in with existing properties, Shirlington now offers everything from classic red brick townhouses to more contemporary loft-style condos. The neighborhoods of Fairlington, Windgate, Brittany, and The Grove surround the town center of Shirlington, and each offers its own unique contribution to this rapidly growing community. If you’re interested, we’re happy to share more information with you about Shirlington and any of its adjacent neighborhoods.
Arbour Realty’s 4 Favorite Condos and 1 cool Townhouse Community in Shirlington
- Shirlington Village – Located next door to Harris Teeter, these modern units come with gourmet kitchens. The building has its own concierge, swimming pool, fitness center and parking. It’s a fun space with exposed ductwork and an urban feel. More about Shirlington Village.
- Shirlington Crest– Stanley Martin has begun construction on these beautiful brick townhouses that provide great value in Arlington priced from the mid-$500s. More about Shirlington Crest.
- West Village of Shirlington – This collection of condos and townhouses that have been completely converted from the inside out look as if they’re straight out of a Pottery Barn catalog. The prices are perfect for first time homebuyers in Arlington. More bout West Village of Shirlington.
- Fairlington – A neighborhood listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register for Historic Places, Fairlington has developed a loyal following of owners and future home owners who jump to purchase any listing in the area.
- Park Fairfax – Once home to Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, Park Fairfax is now a popular condominium community. Rich with walking trails, pedestrian activity and swimming pools, residents of Park Fairfax say that it’s more than just buying a single condominium unit — it’s buying into a true community. (Park Fairfax is actually located in Alexandria)
Arbour Realty’s Five to Try: Shirlington
- Classika Theater – Patterned on Russian theater traditions, this theater troupe offers classes and productions suitable for the entire family.
- Signature Theater – Attracting more than 80,000 patrons each season, this recently updated theater has developed a reputation as one of the nation’s best regional theaters.
- Busboys and Poets – A book store, restaurant, and a gathering place, this DC institution seeks to create an environment that promotes the free exchange of ideas amongst its patrons
- Carlyle Grand – Voted Arlington’s #1 restaurant, this American bistro is the perfect place to meet friends and neighbors for an after work drink.
- Best Buns Bread Company – With bread baked fresh daily, Best Buns offers a variety of artisan breads, delectable sweets, and deli-style sandwiches.
Be part of the team within the Ballston community that creates a constellation of fifty light- and sound-emitting “cloudlets” that will fill the central space of Welburn Square. The project will commence with a workshop where 50 groups of between 2-4 people will build and create their own cloudlets, which will have its own individual way of communicating with the other cloudlets. If...Click Here To Read More...
Are you looking to rent in the Arlington VA, Northern Virginia or the DC Metropolitan area? If so, there is a great new website you should check out. Livelovely.com takes all the hard work out of searching for a rental home by providing multiple listings all in one place. It lets you search your neighborhood of choice, providing monthly rental rates, property...Click Here To Read More...
Shirlington Village certainly has a vast array of restaurants, all confined together in a cute and walkable area, with direct public transportation to the Pentagon Metro station and Metrobus service to Alexandria VA and other Arlington VA locations. This makes Shirlington Village a perfect pick for St Patrick’s Day 2014. Many Shirlington restaurants are offering St Patrick’s Day menus and entertainment, giving you the...Click Here To Read More...
Will Montague / Foter / CC BY-NCYou don’t need to be down in New Orleans to get into the mood of Mardi Gras., in fact you don't need to go far from home, just come to Courthouse Arlington to celebrate Mardi Gras 2014. On Tuesday, March 4th enjoy the Clarendon-Courthouse Mardi Gras Parade. The parade will start at 8:00 p.m. at N. Barton Street...Click Here To Read More...
When we were kids our parents taught us the basics of what to do when out biking or walking. We know that we should look both ways before crossing the road, and to wait for the pedestrian light to turn green before crossing and to signal using our arms when turning left and right on a bike. These are the...Click Here To Read More...